What to Wear to your Engagement Session - Tips for your Engagement Session
I think ‘what do I wear to my engagement session’ is one of my most asked questions as a wedding and engagement session photographer. I wanted to put together an article that was as helpful as possible for any couples out there trying to figure out what will photograph best. So below I’m going to include beautiful photos of my couples that chose some outfits that photographed so well, represented their style and made them feel good. I’m going to also include the tips and tricks that I give all my couples that ask as well as a link to my engagement session Pinterest board for TONS of ideas! So here we go! Keep scrolling below to see all the good stuff.
Here is the tips and information I give all my couples for their session below. I include a link to my Pinterest board that has tons and tons of ideas, looks and locations from all over and all kinds of sessions.
Tips for your engagement session:
- more neutrals, softer colors and jewel tones tend to photograph best
- if you're able avoid wearing neon colors, super super bright coral pink or bright Christmas red...brighter bold colors reflect colors right back onto your skin and jawline that cannot be edited out. Colors are great just not the extreme neon color variations.
- long flowy fabrics are really beautiful on camera, textures, tones, consider layers, beautiful fabrics, structured dresses and tops
- for guys button downs and nice pants photograph best, they can change it up by adding a blazer, sweater, etc if that's their style
- if you're able try to avoid work boots or older tennis shoes...any other kinds of shoes are great just maybe not the tennis shoes you'd mow the lawn or work out in
- polo shirts don't photograph as well as the fabric tends to look a little sloppy on camera but button downs and plain t-shirts are great - other ideas are sweaters, henley t-shirts, blazers or vests
- your photographer will more than likely take photos of your hands if you’re engaged to show off the ring so it’s best to keep your hands tidy and clean and even get your nails done if you’d like
- I do recommend professional hair and makeup if you’re able because there is a way that hair and makeup artist apply makeup and fix your hair for camera that you cannot replicate unless you are a professional…they understand what translates well on camera more than we can see with our natural eye - you more than likely only do an engagement session once so it’s an investment you will absolutely love
- I personally give my couples up to 2-3 outfit changes and we photograph a session for up to two hours - all photographers vary but I love to give them options
- I try to choose two nearby locations that flow with my couples outfits unless they have a special location chosen for them
- I love to say do one casual outfit, a date night outfit and if you're feeling like you'd like to go all out you can do a dressier outfit like something you'd wear as a guest to a wedding to give your photos variety - you never know what will photograph best on you so options are always a good idea
More tips for you for your session!
- Try on your outfits and take some iPhone photos to see how they look on your phone camera first and see if you love how you look in them
- don’t get a spray tan too close to your session or you may have orange hands, elbows and streaks …you may also look too orange in your photos in general so I always say it’s best to get one a few days before your session if you’re able rather than the day before
- bring some champagne or wine to sip on during your session - mix it up and have picnic or bring a charcuterie board
- consider the entire vibe of your session and if your outfits will make sense in their location - you may not wear a full on suit and super high heels on a rough mountain top but maybe something a little dressier could be cute on a pathway to a pretty location - are you doing a downtown look? Maybe think of an outfit thats something you’d wear on a date night or a dressy outfit - are you on a boat? Maybe wear something classy but casual
- think of your season and your vibe
- if you’re warm and cozy and have warm personalities wear sweaters and jeans and pick cozy locations
- if you like warm tones wear warm tones and think of complimenting locations
- if you love cool fresh colors and pastels wear those! Wear colors you know look great on your skin and compliment each other
- don’t be afraid to be extra dressy if you like that and bring a fresh bouquet for fun with your dressy outfit
- BE YOURSELF
- Don’t wear an outfit that doesn’t represent you or that you don’t feel comfortable in - make sure your outfit fits well, isn’t too short or too tight so you don’t feel uncomfortable
- If you’re fun, then wear a fun bright print, if you’re cool and relaxed wear some cute cool outfits, don’t feel you have to be romantic and classic if you aren’t like that in your normal life
- you want to look back at your photos and feel like they don’t look like you!
- wear patterns and stripes and prints if you’d like
- be careful with tiny checkered prints and stripes as they can cause banding in photos so opt for large prints if you’re able
I hope you love these ideas and they they are helpful to you! Leave a comment if you have more ideas or thoughts on engagement session outfits and ideas.